Saturday, February 9, 2008

Feast of St. Apollonia, Patron Saint of Teeth


Quite a number of years ago, I overheard our 3rd son talking to his sibs after he found 50 cents under his pillow. "There can't be a tooth fairy," he told them. "This must have been left by the patron saint of teeth. I don't know who that is, but there must be one!" Ahhh, the faith of children!

That led Krazyglue to search out a patron saint of teeth.
He settled upon St. Apollonia, a third century saint whose teeth were knocked out in an attempt to dissuade her of her Christian Faith. She was already invoked by those suffering from toothaches and dental diseases. Thus she became the one for whom the kids would leave their teeth, always reflecting on her sacrifice: "She gave her teeth for Christ."

Today is her feast day. You can read about her here or in this book.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks! I knew there had to be one. My son has his first loose tooth and was intrigued by the idea that there could be a saint to help him.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I am recovering from a root canal infection. Apollonia thank you for reminding me again and again that I should return to my contemplative side. Anne in Rome