Monday, July 14, 2008

Kristin Lavransdatter

I am re-reading the book by Sigrid Undset, Kristin Lavransdatter, this time the newer translation by Tiina Nunnally. I keep wishing that I had an index to the characters, because after so many Andresson's, Bjorgulfson's, Gjeslings, and so on, I sometimes wonder "Who is this?" when a name comes up! LOL--this might be due to reading in short bursts of "mother-time" or it may just be the nature of the book, with its Norwegian names and many complexities.

It is a wonderful read, and as a friend said to me recently, "It is a book that everyone ought to read!" I surely would like for it to have a larger audience, but I seldom find that anyone I know has read it. At over 1100 pages, Kristin Lavransdatter is a somewhat serious endeavor! Helen Alvare, former Director of Planning and Information for the Pro-Life Secretariat of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops, once wrote that it was must-read for any girl coming of age because of its lessons in the consequences of our choices.

So I'm wondering, dare I attempt to write a guide to Kristin Lavransdatter? Could I possibly find the time to do so? Stay tuned!

For a excellent review of this masterpiece by Sigrid Undset, winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature, read this.

1 comment:

The Sojourner said...

Sounds fun. (Of course, this is from the girl who devoured Crime and Punishment in 2 days.)