Monday, January 14, 2008

Grace & the Mass

Today I received a note in a Christmas card telling me how lucky I am that my children love their Faith. Believe me, I feel deeply blessed and tremendously grateful! God has granted me my heart's desire with that one, and I pray that He always will.

Today we also got a card and note from a dear Carmelite priest who lives in Ireland. He's the priest who gave the contemplative prayer retreat on which dh and I met so many moons ago in California. Once again, Father has given us the supreme gift: twice weekly Masses for our family for a year!! Just thinking about it overwhelms me!

Getting the two cards on the same day made me think that perhaps it's been Father's spiritual bouquets of Masses for us all these years that has enabled the faithfulness of our family. Oh, I'm by no means claiming sainthood for any of us; we confront our fallen natures on a daily basis I'm afraid. But it is true: my kids love God, love their Catholic Faith, and they want to do God's will. I don't deserve this gift. Thankfully, God doesn't usually give us what we deserve.

No comments: