Wednesday, January 2, 2008

To Share, or Not to Share, and Here is a Question

How often have those of you who homeschool had someone say, "Oh I could never do that!"? And you mutter some polite reply, down-playing that you have any innate talent at work. Maybe you wanted to shout, "Yes you could!" but kept the words inside lest you make the other person uncomfortable. For you know, when people make such disclaimers, they aren't saying homeschooling is bad; often they see it as a truly wonderful thing, but they justify not looking into it further with the belief that they could never manage. I confess, on more than one occasion I wanted to reply, "No, you probably couldn't homeschool if you still expect to keep your house just so, and if you aren't prepared to give up life as you know it." I'd go on, "Homeschooling is very worth it, of course!"

Similarly, I have lost count of how often someone has said to me, "I'd love to have a big family, but I just know that I couldn't manage more than my one [or two]." "It's grace," I usually reply. But I think that one reason people ooh and ahh over meeting someone homeschooling a large family is that they think I'm doing it and still managing to keep a beautiful house, or that I'm so well-organized that keeping track of everything is a piece of cake. Far from it, on both counts!

When my children were younger and I was new to homeschooling, I thought that it was important to be aware of the impression we gave to others because it reflected on homeschoolers and/or large families in general. And so when we'd dine out from time to time, we were careful to leave good tips, lest we leave a bad impression. Having the kids be nicely dressed and groomed we thought reflected well on our vocation. Speaking positively about my kids, besides being good for them, was also thought wise lest people be put off by the difficulties involved in our choice.

Now I can see another side to the question. I can see that sometimes being picture perfect (not that we ever ever were!) could reinforce for someone that they aren't suited to lots of kids or homeschooling, because they know they'd have a hard time keeping up. It can be a disservice to our fellow homeschool moms by putting pressure on them to be high achievers. If CD can keep house and home and educate her children all the while sewing all her family's clothes and being a gourmet cook, why can't I? I know moms who think something is wrong with them because they can't do it all, and they feel that they should be able to.

Some friends popped by my house one day to take the kids and me to the park for a surprise party. When one of the moms, a mother of 8 boys, saw my house, she exclaimed, "Oh your house makes me feel so good! It's like mine!" Which was to say a bit of a mess. But these moms had planned around that, and rather than risk embarrassing me by having everyone show up at my house to surprise me, they had the party at a park. I was loved for me, messy house and all, and not because I performed all of my duties well all of the time.

So I want to throw out this question: Is it more important to create a good impression and protect the image of the large, homeschooling family, or to give another permission to be human by sharing our own human imperfections with them? What do you think?

4 comments:

Kyle Cupp said...

I wouldn't worry what impressions you make. What inspires one person will put off another. You'll never win. Just strive to be the best you can.

Leigh said...

Another mom blogger mentioned that image can become more important than substance...i.e. the appearance of a happy, loving family is more important than the thing itself. No one starts out that way, I dare say. Sometimes, you just find yourself putting a lot of stock in the beautiful house, well dressed kids, and school activities. In the end, substance matters most but it's sometimes a challenge to remember that in the midst of day-to-day living.

Homeschooling is not my choice but I respect your decision to do it. God bless you.

Connie's Daughter said...

Leigh, I really think you (or the mom you mention) have hit on something key here: striving for the appearance of an ideal can inadvertently become the focal point instead of simply trying to live it, however imperfectly. Do you remember the name of the blog/mom blogger who mentioned this?

It reminds me of a dear Irish priest-friend who used to say that our values are "caught not taught". IOW, kids learn what we live more than what we say we're living. Something I've been meaning to blog on.

Thanks for commenting!

Connie's Daughter said...

Good advice, Kyle.