Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Different (for me) Kind of Advent

I'm basically a homebody. Oh, I have an adventuresome streak, but I thrive in time spent at home with my family. And I have no trouble staying home to work on things; in fact, I prefer to do that and will sometimes decline social activities because I have "so much to do." It's the Martha in me.

This Advent I feel called to step out of my comfort zone and to counter the busyness of the season with spending time with people, being truly present to them. It's a different kind of contemplation, but a form of it, none-the-less, as I devote my energies to seeing Christ in others and trying to reflect Him in my own being.

With a houseful of boys and only one daughter, most of the holiday preparation falls on me. If I work from now until Christmas Eve, I might get it all done! Instead, I'm accepting invitations:
Last Thursday I was asked if I could host a potluck dinner on Saturday for our newly formed small faith community at church. I said yes. And it was a very blessed evening of fellowship and intimate sharing, even though we've not been together long.

This weekend I am joining a dozen other Catholic homeschool moms for a get-away to central Ohio, to a bed & breakfast run by one of the mom's parents. We will meet for early morning Mass, then carpool to the B & B, and spend the day and night together, including going on a guided walking tour of 8 of Lancaster's historic churches. We'll have a gift exchange to cap off the day before retiring to a restful slumber. Or maybe not; it is a slumber party for moms, and whoever sleeps at slumber parties?! The next day we will go to Mass together, have a wonderful brunch, and drive back home.

I will return just in time to attend the Christmas party of our local diabetes support group Sunday! We have declined this invitation in the past, but this year we are going, to honor all those families who so bravely face the challenges of type 1 diabetes day in and day out.

The next weekend is yet another diabetes related holiday party. Depending on who attends, the hosts are the only people we may know at this one, and our association with them is mostly through email. But again, it is an opportunity to be other focused, to delight in the company of good people! The hosts of this party extended the invite to all those on a parents of children with diabetes email list which is international. We, in turn, said if nearby hotels weren't do-able for any family wishing to attend, they could camp out at our house. So far, two families have expressed an interest. I don't "know" either of them!


Now, running from party to party is standard fare for many at this time of year, but not for me. I'm very task-oriented, but this Advent I wanted to be relational. I wanted to focus on people. I wanted to show my children that what is important is being with others, not racing from store to store in search of perfect gifts.

And on the home front, I've resolved to be present to my children. For example, I'm helping them with their Christmas projects for their friends and one another when they ask, instead of putting them off, too busy with my own stuff. As a family we are reading Jotham's Journey again, and I am making time to discuss their other reading with them. Maybe all good moms do this, but I'm often too consumed with the business of running a household to take time out for such things, even though I know how valuable such time to talk is.

Mostly, I'm adopting a mindset that says, quite simply, "You are a gift to me." In this way, this Advent, I am contemplating (or trying to!) the Christ child within each one of us. I'm not sure how all the work will get done, but I feel confident that what needs to will get done. Mt 6:25-33 comes to mind:
Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body what you shall put on...But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.

No comments: